Saturday, March 19, 2011

Birth Thoughts

I keep hearing from sooo many people about how horrible today's society is
All because of Pitocin and Epidurals.
Frankly I'm right smack dab in the middle between pro and pro
I"m pro everything.
Pro whatever YOU want to do 
and I'm con people downing on either way.
In my opininon you are not crazy if you want to do a home birth 
(personally I would not do it at my home because i've seen that mess... I don't want to clean it up)
and You are not killing your child if you want it out/ don't want to feel the pain.

I don't know I just keep hearing about how Pitocin gives you harder stronger contractions
and I just didn't have that experience. 
I'm very positive that for some people It's the worst experience they've ever had, but personally I had easygoing contractions (as easygoing as they could be) and they were even, I had breaks, and it didn't stress baby porter out in anyway.
The Epidural was mild on me, It took my pain away but no feeling. I could walk right after birth, and Porter was awake for probably over 3 hours after he was born. 
In fact we had to put a blanket over the side of his clear bed so he'd stop looking around and go to sleep.

Don't get me wrong I don't condone doing it the drug induced way...
he just wouldn't come out on his own even though I'd been having contractions for a week 5 minutes apart.

I very much look up to those who do it naturally in fact I'm considering it for my next baby. 
For me I wanted to know how my labor was going to go and how well I did for the first, and now that I know my body takes it pretty well... I'm really looking into a Hospitilized natural birth for this next one. 
I will be getting an Iv however because I LOVED that I didn't have to drink mounds of water I just got it injected directly in my arm and I was hydrated :)
I know I like weird things.

I don't know If I were to recommend anything I'd choose
  • having the water broken first over pitocin (but I wouldn't turn it down if things still didn't progress)
  • Having an epidural if you want one with the first baby at least because honestly the first labor is on average like 12 hours... 
  • not putting down people who don't choose to be in pain.... I guess it's a thing I have against being judged and having other people being judged.. although then I'm judging those who judge... no. I prefer to look at it like... wishing those who judge didn't so there might be a little more love and understanding in the world. 
Blah I'm cheesy
and a little crazy

 I guess i was just lucky to have such a cutie who handled labor super well regardless of my drug infused body at the time of his birth.

aka him going from this
to this

1 comment:

  1. Sam!!! How have I gone so long not knowing this little beauty of a blog existed?! My goodness! I thought you just posted all your wise words in your FB notes. Needless to say, this makes me happy :) now I can have a little glimpse into your sweet family's life more than once every 3 months (which is a good thing now that you have a babe who changes hair colors and size so quickly. I almost didn't recognize him last week!).

    I love your thoughts here. Even though I know we're a ways off from babies I find this so fascinating. It reminds me how very little I know (like staying hydrated...or how divided people are on these issues...or what on earth pitocin is) and how important it is that when that time comes, I make the decision that's best for me (it seems silly that anyone would try to tell you to do otherwise...I mean, it's YOUR body right?).

    Anyway, just thought I'd stop by to say hi and thank you for giving me such a gem to add to my google reader. I'm so excited! Truly. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...