Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hands

I have a fascination with hands and life.
I love those who have lived longer than me
and I love the way that skin wears with the experience it has come to know.
I know that's weird... I mean put it in simple terms and you'll say 
"you like wrinkles??"
but I do.
I love hands more than the skin on ones face or arms or feet.
Because Hands are the center of who we are.
I once took a picture of my Great Grandmother's hands as she held a glass of wine or apple juice or I don't know... 
Either way I honestly can't find it but
I still consider it to be my favorite picture that I've ever taken 
and I took it when i was.. 12 or 10 or something.
But there is just something about hands. 
Some say eyes are the window to our soul. 
That may be true
But hands are the key to our lives.
The scars, the calluses, the wrinkles, the texture.
Hands are what we use when we hug
when we put our hand on someone's arm to show we care
when we clasp our fingers together to pray
when we entwine them with someone else's to show we care
When we put them on someone's back to guide them
when we offer them out to help someone back up
when we hold our newborn child
when we guide food into our own or someone else's mouth
when we build our home
when we clean it
when we plant a garden or flowers
when we mow the lawn
when we hold them tight to a rope as we swing through the wonderful sky
when we need to pull ourselves up when we fall
I love hands
I look at my baby boy's hands and think 
I'm going to teach you to use your hands to reassure your friends and wife that you're there for them
to hold his own child
to provide for his family
and one day hold my hand as I pass out of this world.
I will teach his hands with my hands for the rest of my life.

My favorite pictures from my wedding..
My grandmother's hands (the daughter of the one I took the picture of) signing her love to us
My Maid of Honor Tying up my dress
 My husband Sliding on the symbol that we are now bound forever
 His hands leading me through a turn during our first dance
 Him holding my ring while I have my hand around his waist
 and our hands holding each other. Knowing that we have to keep holding each others' hand to get through the rest of forever together.
and hopefully
One day
My hands will show that I worked hard
I Raised my children
I've been through hardships and survived
and I made it there holding the hand of my sweetheart
This is my Great Grandma a mere 5 months before she passed
some may say her skin is saggy
I say it's tired from living those 98 years
Loving unconditionally
Living Life Happily
Regardless of the hardships
It was there through it all
 and you know if you look past the age
we actually look a little alike :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...